I love risotto, but all that stirring – hard work!
So, when I came across this recipe on The Lovely Food Company’s Cookery Course page, I had to try it, with my usual tweaking!! (all the cookery course recipes are available on this site, well worth checking out!)
The original recipe calls for 200mls cream, 300mls milk, I changed this to 100ml cream, 100ml semi skimmed milk, and 100mls white wine. This is the easiest risotto i’ve ever made and the nicest! Of course, the creamier original version is to die for, feel free to try it out, but i’m trying to be good food wise 🙂
Please don’t skip on the fried sage leaves, they are the final touch and really make the dish! I added some grilled chicken, asparagus and butternut squash to my risotto just before serving, I was advised to cook additions seperately and toss over before serving for maximum flavour!
I have typed the recipe out exactly as I cooked it, but original recipe available through link in the first paragraph.
Creamy Pea Risotto with Flash Fried Sage
225g Risotto Arborio Rice
100ml semi skimmed milk
100ml white wine
400ml hot water
1 small onion finely diced
1 Stock cube (vegetable or chicken)
Small bunch of fresh sage
Salt & Pepper
1/2 butternut squash, cut into cubes (optional)
pack of asparagus spears, ends trimmed (optional)
cooked chicken, sliced (optional)
– Gently saute the onion until softened, add the wine and simmer for a few mins
– add the milk, stock cube and water, simmer on a medium heat for 10 mins
– stir well and add the cream and seasoning, simmer gently for 10 mins then add the peas
– leave on a low heat for about 5 mins, then taste, the rice should be cooked but have a slight bite
– while rice is cooking, steam or boil the butternut squash chunks until just cooked then toss in a little bit of oil and grill on a hot griddle or pan until coloured, add the asparagus and cook in the same way
– in a pan, heat some oil then add the sage leaves and fry until crisp, drain on kitchen paper
– to serve, scoop the risotton into bowls, top with the grilled vegetables, sliced chicken and shavings of parmesan and place the leaves on top.