I’ve never tried “real” mac n’cheese, someday I will, I love cheese and I love pasta, seems like a winning combo to me!!
Today should be the day I weigh in at class, but due to some temporary office work I’m doing I’ve missed a couple of weeks, il miss next week as I have my last surgery on my foot and most likely will still be unfit to go the following week!! So, I’m hoping when I rejoin il have a big loss!!
My mother in law dropped in last night and left a piece of boiled ham. Not a big fan of boiled ham here so I decide carbonara would be a good idea for dinner…and then I started googling macaroni cheese and pasta bakes and came up with the recipe below.
It was yummy, super quick to prepare and a great way to sneak extra veggies in!! This could easily be made without the ham, or with smoked bacon, or cooked chicken!
Cheese and Ham Pasta Bake
200g penne pasta
2 small leeks, sliced
1 pepper (I used orange), sliced
Half head of cauliflower, chopped well
200g tub Philadelphia light with garlic and herbs (2 per portion syns or part Healthy A)
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
200g cooked ham, diced
30g slice whole meal bread, crumbed (1/2 syn per portion)
2 oz light cheddar grated (2 syns per oz or use as part Healthy A)
1 oz Parmesan grated (1.25 syns per portion)
– cook pasta, adding chopped cauliflower about 5 minutes before the end
– meanwhile, sauté the leek and pepper with spray oil
– add the ham and stir, then add the Philadelphia and approx half a cup of water, with 1/3 of the grated cheese, mustard and black pepper and mix well until you have a smooth, creamy sauce, add a little more water if needed
– mix sauce with pasta and pour into an oven proof dish
– mix the remaining grated cheeses with the breadcrumbs and top the pasta, spray the top with spray oil to help it colour
– bake at 180 for 20 minutes until crisp and golden brown and bubbling hot