Mushy pea curry – like marmite, some like it some don’t!! I love it! However, much as I liked the first attempt (here) I knew I could improve on it and my latest batch is great! I added some extra veg to it and a little coconut milk. Hope you like it!
This time, I just made a big batch of sauce and added some chicken to a portion of sauce for 2 and I’ve frozen the rest in portions.
Syn wise, 150mls light coconut milk is 7 syns, this recipe makes 7 generous portions of sauce. So, 1 syn per portion. The coconut milk is really optional, but I think it really added to the dish.
Mushy Pea Curry
1 large onion, sliced or chopped
1 red pepper, sliced or chopped
1 small courgette, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 heaped tablespoon madras (or similar) curry powder
1 heaped tablespoon garam masala
1 tin mushy peas
1/2 tin baked beans
1/2 bottle passatta
150-200 mls chicken stock
150ml light coconut milk (7 syns)
– sauté the onion, garlic, courgette, celery and pepper in spray oil until softened
– add the cumin and curry powder and stir well for 1 minute
– blend the mushy peas, beans and passatta then add to pan
– add stock and stir well, it’s quite thick, add more stock if you like
– simmer for 10 mins then add garam masala, simmer another 10 mins and add coconut milk and turn off heat.
– serve with rice or chips, or both
– to make this a chicken curry, simply add diced raw chicken to the mix after bringing to the boil, bring back to the boil and simmer for 20 mins before adding garam masala.