I have written about my new favourite sauce before, the “Syn Free” Black Peppercorn Sauce, that, after lots of googling and tweaking I ended up with to my taste, so last night I gave it a bash again, but as I had some leeks frozen and sliced in the freezer, not knowing what to do with them, I bunged them into the sauce and it became a pepper, onion and leek cream sauce and it was fab!
For the Homemade Burgers I used 95% Fat Free Steak Mince, I bought this at the butchers, he promised me it was only 5% fat, and to be honest, judging by how little fat drained off while grilling, i’m now convinced! I added some onion and chopped pepper, which I softened in the microwave prior to mixing in and simply grilled them.
I served this meal with a bag of “Field Fresh” frozen veg from Bird’s Eye – syn free and handy and tasty! The green beans and Brocolli are superfree.
Finally, because I had eaten a large potato earlier in the day I opted instead for Cauliflower Mash, a habit I picked up in my lo-carbing days and still fall back on as a side very regularly.
I hope you try this pepper sauce, it’s plate licking good, and even better with a nice juicy steak 😉
I made a large amount last night as I wanted to freeze leftovers, I have listed the measurements I used but it can be made in smaller amounts, and without added veg, just click on this link for the recipe.
Leek, Onion and Pepper Sauce
1 medium leek, sliced
1/2 medium onion, sliced
1/2 red pepper (optional), sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 litre beef stock
4 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
2 tsp (or to taste) freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons Fat Free Fromage Frais
– Bring the stock, with the leeks, pepper, garlic and onion added to the boil, reduce and simmer for 10 minutes
– add the worchestershire sauce and pepper and simmer on quite a high heat for another 1o mins, you want it to reduce and thicken a bit
– take off the heat and stir in the fromage frais
1 1/2 lb Lean Steak Mince (or turkey mince would be lovely too)
1/2 red pepper finely chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
– in a bowl, add the pepper and onion and heat in a microwave for 1 minute until softened, cool then add the mince
– add the garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well
– shape into 4 burgers, or 8 small burgers and grill on a high heat until cooked through
Serves 4 as a side
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons fat free fromage frais (or cream, if you are not counting calories!)
– steam or boil the cauliflower until well cooked
– season and add the fromage frais then mash well and serve in place of mashed potato