I’ve seen MushyPea Curry been talked about before, but, as I detest tinned peas it wasn’t ever going to be something that appealed to me….quite frankly the notion of blending passatta and peas….sounds revolting dosen’t it??
So I was at my class yesterday and it came up in conversation, a lot. Because mushy peas are a “super speed” food on the SW plan, it’s a popular way to include them, apparently some people used baked beans instead with good results.
There was nothing for it, my weekly weigh in “Fakeaway” meal was going to have to be this curry..legend told that it tasted just like a takeaway curry, I wasn’t convinced and had the Thai takeaway menu on hand, just in case like!
Well, it was a revelation.
I found several variations on the recipe and ran with my own concoction, the simplest being just lash some curry powder into some sautéed onions and add the peas and passatta. I’m always adding extra veg to everything anyway but I spotted an open tin of baked beans in the fridge and sure I threw them in as well.
This curry is good, seriously good, it tastes so bold, and yet is syn free….we had it with chips done in the actifryer…next time I’m making myself a 3 in 1 🙂
Mushy Pea Curry with Chicken
5 chicken fillets, sliced
1 large onion, sliced or chopped
1 red pepper, sliced or chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 heaped tablespoon garam masala
1 tin mushy peas
1/2 tin baked beans
1/2 bottle passatta
150-200 mls chicken stock
– sauté the onion, garlic and pepper in spray oil until softened
– add the cumin and garam masala (or use any curry powder)
– stir well for 1 minute
– blend the mushy peas, beans and passatta then add to pan
– add stock and stir well, it’s quite thick, add more stock if you like
– drop the chicken pieces, bring to the boil, reduce and simmer for 20 mins until chicken is cooked through
– serve with rice or chips, or both!