I’ve blogged a version of this before, using Celeriac here, today I added carrots and parsnips and homemade chicken stock. I found a local vegetable store that is great value and I’ve a fridge full of fresh vegetables!
It’s Free on Slimming World Plan, or approx 120 kcal if you are counting calories.
I’m hoping that having soup ready made and in cup-size portions will help me keep my snacking healthy between meals!
The secret to the flavour is to get a nice roasted colour on the veg, it dosen’t have to be cooked through in the oven, the carrots may still be a little crunchy but that’s ok as they will be simmered in the pot and soften up.
Butternut Squash and Roasted Vegetable Soup
1 large butternut squash, peeled, deserved and chopped into chunks
3 carrots – (450g peeled and chopped weight)
3 parsnips (350g peeled and chopped weight)
1 red and 1 yellow pepper – deseeded and in 1/8 pieces
2 red onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 small celery,chopped, and keep the leaves!
Salt and pepper
Thyme, oregano and bay leaf (I used dry thyme and oregano and a fresh bay leaf, use fresh herbs where you can!)
2 litres chicken stock – plus extra water or stock to thin soup as desired
makes about 10 servings
– place the butternut squash, carrot, parsnip and peppers on oven trays lined with parchment (or good non stick trays!), spray with lo-cal spray oil and sprinkle with dried thyme, roast on high heat for approx 30 mins, until well coloured
– meanwhile, sauté the onion, garlic and celery until softened then add the stock and bring to the boil.
– when veg is ready, add to the stock with salt and pepper, oregano and bay leaf and simmer for 20 mins.
– blend, add water until soup is desired consistency and serve!
– this recipe made 10 servings of 1.5 cup size
Ready for freezing: