Anyone for dessert?????
We had a dinner party at home in my parents house yesterday, a huge pot of Beef Bourginon (recipe taken from SW magazine and adapted for slow cooker) it was Delish and lo-syn and served with mash and steamed cauliflower and brocolli.
I was put in charge of desserts. I’ve blogged about the 1/2 syn roulade previously and I made that again, this time I whisked the egg whites so much they were nearly hard and also really whisked the egg yolk mix and it resulted in a slightly thicker “sponge”.
The filling and topping for this one was quark, mixed with fresh mashed strawberries and Splenda. Topped with a 99 flake and more of the strawberry mix – less than 1/3 syn per slice – Delish!!
And then I decided to do a chocolate one!!! So I added 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the egg yolk mix and baked it accordingly.
I could have been super good and filled it with sweetened Splenda but this was a special occasion so I used whipped cream from a can and I used 12 tablespoons and lots of fresh raspberries in the filling and 6 tablespoons on the top.
I also crumbled a small 99 flake (2.5 syns) over the top.
I served a slice of each on a plate with some fresh raspberries, strawberries and blackberries on the side of each.
(Centrepieces also shown, I made 2 of them!)
(For vanilla sponge with strawberry filling)
4 eggs, seperated
2 x 100g quark
2 x 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
5 tablespoons Splenda or similar
Fresh strawberries, cleaned and mashed, reserving a couple to decorate
A mini flake
– preheat oven to 180 (160 for fan)
– line a Swiss roll or similar tin with grease proof paper
– whisk the egg whites until very very stiff
– whisk egg yolks, 1 tsp vanilla, 4 tablespoons of the Splenda and quark together very well
– whisk in 2 tablespoons of the egg white then fold in remaining
– pour into tray, gently smooth then bake for 20 mins
-roll while warm in the grease proof then unroll when cooled to fill
– mix the mashed strawberries, 1 tablespoon Splenda, 1 tsp vanilla and 100g quark, spread most of it over sponge. Add a few chopped strawberries, roll up and spread remaining mix on top, decorate with sliced strawberries and flake (optional)
– add 2 tablespoons cocoa to the egg yolk mix
– mix Splenda, vanilla, Splenda and spread over centre. Add halved raspberries then roll (or use spray cream!)
– top with quark or cream, raspberries and flake.