Rain, more rain and some wind. Weather to suit my mood yesterday after returning back from hometown. The weekend marked the 2nd anniversary of my beloved sister’s passing and emotions were low all round.
Stew was needed. A big warm steaming bowl of it with creamy mashed potatoes.
I dusted off the slow cooker and after a stock check and looking at a few recipes I came up with the following recipe and it was absolutely perfect- tasty, comforting and moreish, even the baby who is 6 months gobbled up a dish of it puréed!!
1kg stewing beef cut in bite size cubes
10 rashers of bacon, chopped (I removed rind)
5 carrots, cut in good size chunks
2 leeks sliced
2 onions chopped
3 sticks celery chopped
2 red peppers sliced
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 tins tomatoes
3 tablespoons tomato purée
1 beef stock cube
1/2 cup whiskey (or you could use brandy)
1 pint water
Bunch of fresh parsley, thyme, 2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons seasoned flour
2 tsp smoked paprika
– in batches, toss the steak cubes in seasoned flour and seal in a hot pan sprayed with fry light. remove to slow cooker set high after each batch.
– fry the bacon until well coloured and add the carrots and peppersto get a bit of colour and roasted flavour
– add bacon, carrots, peppers and all other veg to the slow cooker
– deglaze the Pan with the whiskey and reduce slightly then add the tinned tomatoes and purée, paprika and stock cube and pour into slow cooker.
– add in the pint of water and the bunch of herbs and cook on high for 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve with creamy mash.